Alcohol

Standard

The other day, I was listening to a podcast, the Chemist Corner. It said that the aging of skin depends greatly on our genes, 65%.  That leaves us only 35% to work on only. Sad, isn’t it? Also, it mentioned that sunlight and smoking enhance the aging process too. But drinking alcohol doesn’t show much effect. If you wanna avoid aging as much as possible, put on sunscreen and quit smoking, drinking is fine though. So, drinking alcohol doesn’t do much to your skin. But wearing it is a totally different thing.

Alcohol is very dehydrating, it’s easy to evaporate due to its low boiling point. And while it’s evaporating, it takes away the water too. But the way alcohol kills bacteria is by dissolving their cell membrane(confirmed). When you apply alcohol to your skin, it’s like pumping the water out of your skin. For oily skin, more oil will be secreted. Oil is secreted in order to prevent our skin from drying out. When alcohol takes away the water in your skin, more oil will be secreted to keep the skin moist. And for dry skin, it will get drier. Either case, alcohol is no good. That’s why nowadays, many products have a large Alcohol-Free written on them. (btw, if you have oily skin, you would like to look for an oil-free product too).

But you can’t avoid alcohol forever. Products contain no alcohol are usually skincare products, like toners. On the other hand, some cleansers, like a hand sanitizer, contain lots of it. (Here’s a tip for checking ingredients. They are usually listed in order, not alpha order of course. Let’s say you read: water(aqua), alcohol… That means, that product contains mostly water, then alcohol, then… ) That’s why I think you should wash with hand sanitizers that often, your hands are usually not that dirty and do not need to be that clean. To me, soap is enough already. Let’s say you need to use hand sanitizers, what should you do afterwards? Use some hand cream! The same goes to face. You should moisturize your skin, with an alcohol-free product, soon after you clean it with alcohol (this is kinda like damage control, isn’t it?)

I hope this will help you!

Advertisements

About cemmaw

I'm CemmaW from Hong Kong/Shenzhen (I travel back and forth as much as daily sometimes) and I'm a student. I'm terrible at organization. All kind of it, from word organization to time organization and stuff organization. And I'm hoping that by creating a blog, I can get things more organized. But I'm still trying to find the link between organization and blogging. It should help with word but time, stuff and blah blah blah? I have no idea. I also wanna keep track of things by blogging. There're so many things in life and you just forget most of them. So I hope that by writing some of it down, I can read it and like "Hey, that happened!" This is more like a personal blog rather than a particular blog on a specific topic. Its content is mainly depends on my mood. I could feel like writing something on beauty for a while, then I might wanna talk about the albums I'm listening to. Well, have fun!

5 responses »

  1. Pingback: Neutrogena Moisture SPF15 Photos « CemmaW

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s